Chelsea Table Torres Bid As Liverpool Hold Firm
Chelsea last night launched an outlandish £35 million bid to sign Premier League rivals Liverpool’s star striker Fernando Torres, though the Merseyside club have insisted that the player is not for sale.
The Blues attempt to prize Torres away from Anfield may be a sign of desperation given the club have failed to land a marquee name during the transfer window so far, but it confirms Roman Abramovich’s interest in the striker.
The Chelsea owner is long thought to be an admirer of the Spanish international, but has now been told in no uncertain terms that Torres will not be put up for sale – though the Blues may return with an improved offer before Monday’s deadline.
“Chelsea have made a bid for Fernando which has been turned down,” a spokesperson for Liverpool FC told The Times newspaper after the club rejected an initial £35 million offer for the striker, reiterating that “the player is not for sale”.
Torres himself has struggled for form this season following his difficult recovery from a knee injury that also hampered his World Cup last summer, but the 26-year-old has scored nine goals in 25 games for the Reds, including three in his last four.
The recent upturn in Torres fortunes has coincided with the departure of Roy Hodgson in favour of Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish and seems to have re-ignited Chelsea’s long-standing interest in the player as they struggle to stay in the title race.
As such, it seems unlikely that this will be the last that we hear of the story, with the Blues almost certain to return to Liverpool with an improved offer and test their resolve before the transfer window closes at 23.00 GMT on Monday.